Monday 6 May 2013

Back to the drawing board.

After nearly finishing the initial look of the typeface, I took time to look back and realised there were too many inconsitancies for the typeface to work. What worked for my Vinkel typeface (last module) was that it was abstract and didn't nessaverily follow the usual conventions of type design, therefore I was free to do what I wanted. Therefore I decided to revisit what I was initially set out to do. Create a typeface based on letters found on sailboats.

My current one resembles Din too much and if I were to scale each character up for the end of year show, the mistakes would reveal themselves, I want the typeface to be dynamic and totally my own.


However, I'm still keen on basing the typeface on the dimensions (widths) of Din.






I started by creating a rounded rectangle around Din's letterforms. This was to get the widths right.



For example, the width for the letters A and B are totally different.


I then began cutting into the shapes to reveal the letterforms.


This was the final result for 'E'.


I then thought what it would look like if i applied round corners to the letterform.
And it's come out pretty well. A few corners may need tweaking.




No comments:

Post a Comment