Tuesday 28 May 2013


OUGD303 EVALUATION FOR EACH BRIEF
Evaluations for each brief of the FMP:
Rosie Vohra evaluation
One of the first briefs that I addressed was to create an identity for Rosie Vohra. Rosie Vohra is a third year Fine Artist at Leeds College of Art. The brief was to produce an identity and personal branding range for Rosie's end of year show. This brief was much more than just a generic stationary set, the focus was centered around who Rosie was an artist and the end result is dynamic, bold and original. In summary the focus being on craft and detail. 

The brief also supported my rationale and it was focused around working for a designer within the creative sector. I do think this brief was successful and the end product is tangible and unique, however, time management at times was an issue. The brief does not really reflect the time spent on it and the range is a bit limited. Though it reflects my rational, efficiency wise it took me way to long and I found myself going back to the design time after time.

Overall the brief was successful and aesthetically I am really pleased with the final outcome. The problems that I faced with this brief were firstly that as it was the first identity I have designed, I took way too long in designing Rosie's logo and re designing posters, so not knowing hen to leave the brief and move on, when the identity should have been a lot quicker. However in taking time in this process I learned more in terms of illustrator skills and quicker decision making. Overall a good brief with great client communication and the final outcome works for the client who feel that it really sums her up as a designer. The deliverables are varied and work across print and digital media.
No Comment evaluation
This was my most self-indulgent brief of the module, it was purely focused on experimentation with print and working alongside a photographer to create a well crafted publication that allowed me to explore process, binding and stocks.

Within No Comment I gained a lot in terms of self publishing, image making and finding who I am as a designer. The brief allowed me to explore type with image in a way that I had never used before. I worked to a limited budget and produced imagery in the form of posters and publication. This brief both informed and summarised my practice and allowed me to have complete creative freedom within a brief and produce outcomes that I wanted.

Though I am pleased with the final publication, I feel that some of the stock choices could have been more considered to work complementary beside each other. Collaborating with the photographer also had its downsides, I had to wait on her for the images when if I had taken on the photography role myself I would have had more control over the execution of the photography.

The range for No Comment could have been broadened with more time, I would have liked to allocated more tome for the digital deliverables rather that souly focusing on the publication.
Owl Evaluation
The Owl brief was by far my favourite within the duration of my FMP.  This brief was heavily focused around working for the music industry and was based around producing an identity and range for a fictitious record label in Leeds. The focus was on information delivery that is visually engaging and structured. The range then developed to an online presence and merchandise. The logo and name was based on the Leeds golden owl which is an emblem of Leeds and therefore a fitting base for the brand identity for the record label. 

Again with the Owl brief I feel I spent too much time on the project and left decisions too late rather than constantly moving forward with the design development. However aesthetically I am very pleased with the final outcome, the colour choice is both and the final vinyls are lively and reflect the nature of the record label.
If I had allocated more time for production I would have liked to have screen-printed the final vinyls and range. I think this would have really added value to the end products rather than just digitally printing. This again was due to not allocating more time to process which is something that I should have done.


No comments:

Post a Comment